At my last watercolor class, we worked with masking tape and/or Mylar. I chose to work with masking tape.
First, I added a wash of ultramarine blue to the middle of the watercolor paper. To create some foliage, I tore very thin strips of tape and pressed them along the bottom of the painting. I covered the strips with a wash of yellow paint.
Since I wanted to paint birch trees, I tore off small pieces of masking tape to cover my sketched tree limbs - leaving varying degrees of thin, horizontal white spaces. I filled in these spaces with burnt umber paint. I then stroked on some light-colored branches. Next, I used a sea sponge (coated with burnt umber) to add brown leaves.
When the paint dried, I removed all the masking tape. I added in some more leaves using the sea sponge technique. I then stopped painting. I'm going to take my unfinished painting (see below) to my next class. I want it to be critiqued by my Instructor and fellow classmates so I can get a better idea of the next step to take. I don't want to overwork the painting - LOL - like I did last week.
In the meantime, I wrote up this tutorial in case you might want to try these ideas.
Have a creative day, Darlene