Recently, I've been noticing projects, on the Internet, on how to create a Hardcover Book with a Binder Mechanism. Today, I decided to make one for myself. Here are the materials/tools I used and the steps I took:
- Hardcover Book
- Binder Mechanism (use binders from your stash or get them at thrift stores)
- Exacto Knife
- Heavy-Weight Cardstock
- Decorative Paper
- Screws & Bolts (from home improvement store)
- Screw Caps (from home improvement store)
- Choose a hardcover book and binder mechanism from one of your old binders. Make sure your binder mechanism is the right size to fit your book.
- Using a screwdriver, lift off the binder mechanism from the binder. Keep working with the screwdriver to remove the mechanism. I did not find this to be an easy task.
- Next, gut your book. Notice that the book pages are not glued to the spine - They are attached to the book covers with liner paper. Using an exacto knife, cut through the liner paper that attaches the book cover to the front and back pages of the book. Do not cut through the spine of the book.
- Cut a piece of heavy-weight cardstock to fit the spine. Cover with decorative paper and glue to the spine to reinforce it.
- Drill two holes in the spine to match the holes in your binder mechanism.
- Attach the book cover and binder mechanism with the screws and bolts. Last, add the screw caps to the outside of the book spine.
- Now go forth and create your New Art Journal. Include a variety of unique papers - and decorate your book cover too.
Interior of Book Cover