According to Gurney, “This rule consists of five general pointers that lead to happier results in just about any kind of painting."
1. Use the Biggest brush possible for a given passage.
2. Paint Large shapes first, followed by small shapes.
3. Save your tonal and chromatic Accents until the last.
4. Try to Soften any edge that doesn’t need to be sharp.
5. Take Time to get the center of interest right.
Read the complete post for the background story behind Gurney's BLAST rule. Then give his ideas a go. I know that I will be trying his suggestions.