Originally, this was an Anthropologie catalog page of drab black & white flowers.
I decided to experiment in my art journal. First, I covered the (glued down page) with matte medium. After it dried, I mixed watercolor paints with matte medium to colorize the image. For the best results, I painted on thin layers of the mixture. The latter tended to dry out very quickly.
Next, I plan to highlight the flowers with colored pencils. I like how the experiment turned out and plan to try working with other black & white images. I did notice that this technique works best with heavier paper, not bond-type paper.