I just received two new catalogs from Restoration Hardware. I enjoy looking at catalogs for many reasons. First, I'm interested in new product offerings. But the biggest benefits of receiving catalogs relates to my practice of mixed media art.
Here's how I use catalogs in my art:
- New trends in fashion and home decor provide me with fresh ideas for future mixed media art projects.
- Portions of catalog pages can be incorporated into my art journal pages.
- I like to use the beautiful typography in my collage pieces.
- Catchy phrases, on the pages, can enhance and define a mixed media art work. Use the actual phrases or rewrite them with unique hand lettering techniques.
- Don't toss your old catalogs. When you do collage work, lay whatever you are gluing facedown on a clean catalog page and apply the glue. When you're ready to glue another piece, tear off the sticky page and use the next clean sheet. You'll keep your work surface clean.