I like to use charcoal for sketching. Here are some tips on creating with charcoal:
- Benefits – Helps you learn about values; to work in large shapes rather than detail; easily makes dark marks on your paper; inexpensive.
- Availability – Pencils, sticks, powders and chunks.
- Best Substrates for Charcoal – Paper with some texture so the charcoal has something to stick to. Example – watercolor paper.
- Techniques – Smudging with a paper stump, eraser or finger. Create highlights with a kneaded eraser.
- Finishing – When art is complete, spray with a fixative to prevent the charcoal from smudging. Better to use a few light coats than a heavy coat of fixative.