For the Holidays, I like to decorate containers that can be used to hold small bags of cookies and/or candies to give as gifts. Rather than working with Christmas designs, I chose napkin images which can be enjoyed year round by the recipients. Here are the details:
- I first covered the peat pot and tin can with gesso. Since the pot is absorbent, I wanted to completely seal it. I also wanted to cover the dark color of the can so that I would end up with a light base. Let dry.
- Remove the double paper backing from the napkins.
- Coat your substrate (peat pot, can) with DecoArt Media Matte Medium.
- For the can, I cut the napkin into a rectangular piece and gently placed it around the prepared can.
- For the pot, I cut the napkins into oval shapes for ease of handling. I covered both the inside and outside of the pot with these shapes. Let dry.
- Add another layer of Matte Medium to the outside of the can/pot. Let dry.
- Last, spray an clear acrylic sealer over the items.
Note: Choose napkins with light-colored flowers. Dark flowers tend to look muddy.
The embellished peat pots would make delightful favors when put at each place setting on your Holiday table.
I'm working on another container idea that I hope to post soon.